Teeth whitening can be an exciting procedure for many, helping you to get the dazzling white smile that you deserve. Increase your self-confidence and smile more in person and pictures when you have that Hollywood smile. But is teeth whitening a safe procedure? Here at Vera Clinic, we’re taking a closer look at the procedure itself, how it works and if it can cause any damage to your gums whether temporary or permanent. Read on to find out more!
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
There are many different techniques that can be used during the teeth whitening process. Some of the most common include:
With the use of mouth guards, your needs will be assessed at an initial consultation to determine the level of whiteness that you want to achieve and the level of staining that your teeth have experienced. Then an impression of your teeth is collected in order to create a custom mouth guard. Bleaching gel is then applied and the mouth guard is worn for a period of time. This process usually takes multiple occasions to get the desired look.
With laser whitening, a bleaching solution will be painted onto your teeth. Once this has been completed, a hyper-specific laser or light is shone onto the bleached teeth. This activates the bleaching gel and allows the whitening process to start taking place.
Before any teeth whitening treatment, we will ensure we conduct an initial consultation to understand your requirements and to ensure that we can meet your expectations with our treatment options.
What Are The Benefits Of Teeth Whitening?
There is a range of benefits to having your teeth whitened. These include:
- Remove discolouration from your teeth. Whether discolouration is caused by your lifestyle or simply through ageing, teeth whitening can help to remove this.
- Removes staining. Staining can be caused by food, drink and smoking. Food like rich curries, dark-coloured fruits or coloured icings and drinks like red wine, coffee and smoothies can all have a lasting effect on your teeth. Teeth whitening can dissolve this staining and bring back the whiteness.
- Reduce bacteria. Some of the teeth whitening products used can help to kill off bacteria and improve your dental health overall.
- Look younger. Discoloured teeth can be a sign of ageing, meaning when you have yellow or stained teeth, you could look older than you are. Teeth whitening could be the magic anti-ageing cure you’ve been searching for.
- Hide imperfections. If your teeth are dazzling white, then people are less likely to notice other minor imperfections that may be naturally in your smile that may require a more invasive procedure to fix.
What Are The Side Effects Of Teeth Whitening?
While there are many benefits to teeth whitening, there are some side effects that you should also consider. Firstly, teeth whitening could lead to sensitive gums as the use of bleach can sometimes become an irritant, particularly for those with already sensitive mouths. If your teeth are already compromised, for example, if they have cracks, then your teeth could become inflamed during or after the procedure. Teeth whitening is highly effective for most candidates, but this is something to consider if you’re looking to have your teeth whitened.
Can Whitening Teeth Damage Gums?
In some cases, teeth whitening can cause minor burns to the gums, however, this is far more prevalent in at-home kits than it is when using professional teeth whitening clinics such as that from our expert team at Vera Clinic.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
Teeth whitening can last for different periods of time depending on your lifestyle choices and what you like to eat and drink. For some people, this may be a few months and for others, this can be up to 3 years or so. If you consume foods that are naturally staining this will impact your teeth and will minimise the length of time that teeth whitening can last.
As you can see, while there are many considerations when it comes to teeth whitening, it is a mild, non-invasive and highly successful cosmetic dentistry procedure which can help to give you the smile that you deserve. If you’re interested in having teeth whitening in Turkey, then fill out our online consultation form to speak with a member of our expert team. Get a stunning smile today!